So in an attempt to squash a craving I have been having for amazing Alfredo sauce and pasta I searched the internet machine and came across this amazing recipe. With a little tweaking I found the ingredients at the farmers market and T-Dogg and I went to work in the kitchen. The result was a little bit of heaven, and a lot of amazingness!
Ingredients for Ravioli:
- 4-5 medium to zucchini squash
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 lbs. ground meat, this time we used turkey, beef would be good, as well as chicken…pork, etc.
- 1 8 oz. bag frozen spinach, thawed
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese* could sub for goat cheese if needed…
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- small handful fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
Steamer, Mandolin, large food processor, large pan to brown meat.
1. Cut ends of squash off and slice down the middle so you have two halves. Using the narrowest setting on your mandolin, slice the squash into long, flat strips. You’ll end with around 70 or so strips.
2. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and saute for about 5 minutes, until nearly translucent. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
3. Add ground chicken to onion and garlic and saute until chicken is cooked all the way through.
4. Squeeze all the excess water out of the spinach, then ad chicken, spinach, salt, pepper, basil, and mascarpone (or goat cheese) into a food processor or blender and puree until mixture reaches desired consistency, try not to eat all the filling while you are making the Ravioli’s this was really tempting!
5. Assemble the ravioli by just barely overlapping two strips of squash. Do the same over the middle of the first two strips, but perpendicular, creating a cross or “t” shape. Almost as though you are going to ‘weave’ the zucchini together.
6. Spoon filling in the center of the cross, then bring the ends of the strips together, overlapping each other.
7. You can secure with a toothpick if you feel necessary, I just gently laid them into the steamer basket, with the ‘open’ tucked ends on the bottom.
8. Before serving, steam raviolis for about 4 minutes, or until squash is tender and inside is warm.
9. Top with Caulif-alfredo or sauce of your choice. (See below for Caulif-alfredo sauce)
Delicious! Even the boys LOVED it!!
For the Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce you need the following ingredients:
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and chopped into large chunks
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- salt/pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
Materials: Blender, large pan to boil cauliflower, small sauce pan to cook sauce.
1. Boil or Steam cauliflower until fork-tender.
2. While cauliflower cooks, heat olive oil over medium low heat in a small pot. Add shallot and saute for a few minutes, then add chicken broth and heat through.
3. Add cauliflower, shallot/broth mixture, and remaining ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more coconut milk if needed.
4. Serve over ANYTHING!!!! Seriously I drank this sauce out of the blender a few times while prepping our dinner – don’t judge, this is the closest to amazing alfredo I have ever tasted!!