When I told Zandyr that we were going to make cookies for Santa his first response was, “Santa only likes chocolate chip!” Request granted. Then he asked why we were making gluten free ones, he doesn’t think Santa is allergic to gluten. I then told him that we want Santa to be healthy too, and he is eating so much wheat and diary the rest of the night his tummy might need a little break. This may only work this year, the boy is getting a little suspicious, as long as he doesn’t need to go into his parent’s closets for any reason we may make it to tomorrow with a firm belief that Santa is on his way!
As I browsed through the usual pinterest recipes, and pale website I realized that I also wanted to make cut out cookies for the kids to decorate, maybe use up some of the tons of sprinkles in the cabinet!
I found this recipe from Power Hungry (powerhungry.com) which as I made the dough realized that it is also vegan, unless you are the type of vegan that doesn’t eat honey, then it is not really vegan for you…
Paleo Cut out Cookies:
- 2 cups fine ground blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, softened or liquid
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon gluten free vanilla extract
Directions (This is making the boys a bit crazy, there are quite a few steps before they can actually get their hands on the cookie dough)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the almond flour, salt, and baking soda,
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, honey, and vanilla until blended.
- Add the oil mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until well-blended and smooth. Spoon the dough into the center of a large piece of parchment paper or wax paper. Wrap up into a disc shape and chill for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled dough to ¼-inch thickness between two sheets of parchment paper. Place the rolled out dough into the freezer for 5 minutes (it will make it easier to cut out shapes).
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes; transfer shapes to prepared cookie sheet. Chill the cut cookie shapes in freezer for 5 minutes (this will help them hold their shape when baking). .
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 9-12 minutes (slightly longer for thicker cookies) or until golden at edges. Let cookies cool completely on sheet (they will firm up as they cool). Transfer to a cooling rack. Re-roll, cut and bake any remaining dough.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies (Santa Approved)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Flavor (or extract)
- 1 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips)
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Oil, unrefined
- 1/2 cup Grade B Maple Syrup
- 2 whole Eggs
- 3 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine dry ingredients
- In a small mixing bowl beat eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract with a hand mixer.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and beat with hand mixer until combined.
- Melt coconut oil, pour into batter, and continue to blend until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, drop balls of cookie dough, about a tablespoon in size.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool and serve with cold coconut or almond milk, obviously for Santa!